Is obesity surgery safe?

For clinically severe obesity, obesity surgery, called bariatric surgery, is safer than remaining severely obese. Because there are various types of operative procedures, you should speak with your healthcare professional about the specific safety statistics of the ones that might be best for you. In addition, consistent follow-up and patient compliance with post-surgical treatment is crucial to the success of these surgeries. These surgical procedures are used only in patients who have been unsuccessful at losing weight in other ways. There is a type of surgery that was common 10 or so years ago -- intestinal bypass -- which was dangerous and led to many cases of life-threatening side effects and even death. This type of surgery isn't done anymore.

Continue Learning about Obesity

How to Outsmart Your Obesity Genes
How to Outsmart Your Obesity Genes
Not a lot of size 6's in your family? Well, then, here's the simple trick to outrunning your obesity genes: movement. In a study of people geneticall...
When should I call my doctor if I am obese?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you are obese, call your healthcare provider if: you have diarrhea due to your treatment for obes...
What are the BMI risk categories?
Keith Kreitz, MDKeith Kreitz, MD
A healthy body mass index (BMI) risk category is 18.5 to 24.9. When people get to a BMI of 25 to 29....
What Is the Connection Between Stress and Obesity?