Is an obese or overweight teen at higher risk of suicide?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
Recent research shows a great suicide risk for teens that are overweight or believe that they are, regardless of gender. This doesn't come as a major surprise to me, and I think it is important to note that self-perception is an important factor. I wonder if the correlation is truly with those who believe themselves to be overweight, regardless of actual body mass index (BMI). There could be teens who are overweight but do not view themselves that way. With the growing obesity rate in children and adolescents and higher risk of suicide for those that view themselves as overweight, it's more important than ever that we reach the teens.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Gaining Weight for No Reason? Check This Out
You're eating right and working out, yet your pants keep getting tighter. What's the deal? Could be your thyroid. A sluggish thyroid -- even one that...
What is obesity?
Mrs. Marjorie Nolan CohnMrs. Marjorie Nolan Cohn
Obesity is a state of excess adipose tissue mass, or body fat. This condition usually translates int...
What is a bariatrician?
Craig B. Primack, MDCraig B. Primack, MD
There is a certification board for bariatricians (medical weight specialists) which have just receiv...
Are Obesity and Erectile Dysfunction Related?