Is an obese or overweight teen at higher risk of suicide?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
Recent research shows a great suicide risk for teens that are overweight or believe that they are, regardless of gender. This doesn't come as a major surprise to me, and I think it is important to note that self-perception is an important factor. I wonder if the correlation is truly with those who believe themselves to be overweight, regardless of actual body mass index (BMI). There could be teens who are overweight but do not view themselves that way. With the growing obesity rate in children and adolescents and higher risk of suicide for those that view themselves as overweight, it's more important than ever that we reach the teens.

Continue Learning about Obesity

The Obesity Sentence
The Obesity Sentence
According to researchers in Canada, if you’re obese, you may be giving yourself a devastating life-shortening sentence. Here’s why. A new study in Th...
What is a bariatrician?
Craig B. Primack, MDCraig B. Primack, MD
There is a certification board for bariatricians (medical weight specialists) which have just receiv...
6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk
6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk
You knew overeating and inactivity can up your odds—but the list doesn't end there.
What Is the Connection Between Stress and Obesity?