Is an obese or overweight teen at higher risk of suicide?

Brooke Randolph
Marriage & Family Therapy
Recent research shows a great suicide risk for teens that are overweight or believe that they are, regardless of gender. This doesn't come as a major surprise to me, and I think it is important to note that self-perception is an important factor. I wonder if the correlation is truly with those who believe themselves to be overweight, regardless of actual body mass index (BMI). There could be teens who are overweight but do not view themselves that way. With the growing obesity rate in children and adolescents and higher risk of suicide for those that view themselves as overweight, it's more important than ever that we reach the teens.

Continue Learning about Obesity

The Obesity Epidemic—Is Fast Food the Cause?
On the way home from the mall, did you swing into the drive-thru for a quick pick-me-up or a bucket of dinner for your family? Seemed harmless enough....
How does hypothyroidism affect morbid obesity?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Hypothyroidism can contribute to morbid obesity but is not the sole cause. Even with treatment for h...
4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing
4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing
Don't make someone feel small just because they're a bit bigger.
Are Obesity and Erectile Dysfunction Related?