How can I tell if my weight is affecting my health?

It can be difficult to tell if your weight is affecting your health, but if you are overweight or obese it most certainly is. Many of the diseases associated with obesity, such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, dyslipidemia, pancreatitis and liver disease, go unknown until something major occurs such as a heart attack or liver failure. If you are overweight or obese you should see your primary care provider to find ways to manage your weight.
Your healthcare professional should ask you questions or conduct tests to determine the risk factors for disease and conditions associated with obesity. This includes:
  • Taking a personal weight history
  • Determining your waist-to-hip ratio. Divide your waist measurement by your hip measurement (the widest part of your behind). Ideally, women should have a waist-to-hip ratio of 0.8 or less.
  • Asking if you have relatives with illnesses related to being overweight, such as type 2 diabetes mellitus or heart disease
  • Discussing weight-loss methods you have used in the past
  • Taking your blood pressure and conducting blood tests

Continue Learning about Obesity

Shocking Facts About Obesity You Haven’t Heard Before
You may know there’s an obesity epidemic, but you might not know how truly shocking the numbers are. A 2017 study published in the New England Journal...
Are diet and lifestyles critical in determining obesity and diabetes?
Dr. Michael T. Murray, NDDr. Michael T. Murray, ND
Even with the presence of the thrifty genotype, diet and lifestyle are the critical factors in deter...
Does height and weight affect the risk of prostate cancer?
Prostate cancer is a hormone dependent cancer, which means that it depends on male hormones, primari...
Can the Chronic Health Issues Seen in Children Be Attributed to Bad Diet?