How does severe obesity affect my health?

Severe obesity affects your health by increasing your risk for all sorts of medical problems including joint problems, heart disease and cancer. Obesity is one of the biggest contributors to poor health and a poor sense of self-worth. A healthy diet and plenty of exercise can be helpful to combat obesity. If you are struggling with obesity, talk to your doctor who may be able to help.

It's painful to contemplate, but being hundreds of pounds overweight can be a true death sentence -- or, worse, it can sentence you to a kind of living death. In this video, Dr. Oz lays out the grim reality for a group of severely obese women. Then he issues a challenge.

Continue Learning about Obesity

How Your Diet Now Can Affect Your Future Children
In 2007, the heaviest woman ever to give birth weighed in at 532 pounds and it took 30 doctors to perform the C-section. While she’s an extreme ex...
When should I seek immediate help if I am obese?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you are obese, seek immediate help or call 911 if: you have a rash, hives, swelling, itchy skin o...
Why are we fat when our ancestors were thin?
The most common question heard among overweight people isn't: "Can I have more sour cream?" It's: "W...
What's Wrong with the American Diet?
What's Wrong with the American Diet?