How is joint pain linked to obesity?

Being overweight puts huge pressure on your joints. For each extra pound of excess weight on your body, you add 3 times that amount of pressure on your knees. This means that 10 extra pounds equates to 30 pounds of pressure grinding down. And when walking up stairs, multiply your extra weight by 7. Thirty pounds of pressure just became 70 pounds. Over time, this force wears away your cartilage, leaving an area of arthritis.

As you lose weight and reduce the pressure on your joints, the cushioning between your bones will build back up. A 10 pound weight loss over 10 years may result in as much as a 50% decrease in your odds of developing osteoarthritis.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Obesity

Global Epidemic: More People Obese Than Underweight
It’s not news that obesity is a national problem, but a study published in The Lancet reveals it’s a global problem too. For the first time in history...
Why is obesity dangerous?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
Obesity is dangerous because it causes diseases throughout the body. It causes more than 70 illnesse...
When should I seek immediate help if I am obese?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you are obese, seek immediate help or call 911 if: you have a rash, hives, swelling, itchy skin o...
How Can We Solve the Obesity Epidemic in the U.S.?