How is neuropeptide Y related to weight gain?

Marjorie Nolan Cohn

Low blood sugar levels stimulate the activity of the neurotransmitter Neuropeptide Y (NPY) in the hypothalamus, ramping up the desire for sweet and starchy food. When someone does not eat frequently enough, or is chronically dieting blood sugar can drop low which triggers NPY. When this happens on a regular basis NPY also starts to promote fat storage, or weight gain.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Does Calling Obesity a Disease Matter?
Does Calling Obesity a Disease Matter?
A couple of years ago picky eaters learned they had a “selective eating disorder” and were relieved of guilt about their limited tolerance for food’s ...
What are the healthcare costs of obesity?
Marjorie Nolan CohnMarjorie Nolan Cohn
In 2008, overall medical care costs related to obesity for U.S. adults were estimated to be as high ...
What is being done to combat obesity in Native American communities?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
Native American culture does not view obesity as taboo, believing it to be ordinary and healthy. Thi...
What Should I Do If I'm Morbidly Obese?
What Should I Do If I'm Morbidly Obese?