How important are diet drugs in ending the obesity epidemic?

Dr. David L. Katz, MD, MPH
Preventive Medicine
Very little about genes, metabolism, or human nature has changed in the past five decades. We have epidemic childhood obesity now; we did not have it then. The ambient level of personal responsibility in 8-year-olds has not changed over that span. A dramatic change in the epidemiology of obesity is directly related to profound changes in our environments, food supply, activity levels, and social norms. We have caused the obesity epidemic, by looking the other way as a staggering array of "advances" made ever more calories ever more temptingly available, and made physical activity ever more elusive.

The root cause and cure of all but rare cases of obesity resides with how we use our feet and forks. Pharmacotherapy is no substitute.

There is, indeed, a role for pharmacotherapy in obesity -- as there is a role for surgery. But it should be a small role. I protest any indulgence in the idea that a diet drug is a meaningful solution to the problem of epidemic obesity. I protest the attention and resources that get diverted from making the modern environment more salutary, more conducive to healthful use of feet and forks. As a society, we should be doing all we can -- and we are not! -- to make sure very few of us ever need the options of surgery or drugs.

Continue Learning about Obesity

When It Comes to Body Fat, It's All About Location
If you're overweight, the extra fat is sure to manifest itself in some outward side effects, like a lack of energy or self-esteem. But many of the ris...
What should I be aware of if I am overweight and need abdominal surgery?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
We all have a fair amount of fatty tissue in our abdominal cavities that surgeons must deal with...
4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing
4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing4 Things Overweight People Are Tired of Hearing
Don't make someone feel small just because they're a bit bigger.
What Does Body Mass Index (BMI) Determine?