How can excess fat affect my health?

Dr. Vonda Wright, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Fat is not just hanging around innocently. It is a metabolically active organ producing hormones and chemicals that negatively affect our body's function and can make disease worse. Fat produces hormones that cause high blood sugar (resistin), high blood pressure (angiotensinogen), inflammation, and infiltrates that clog every tissue from blood vessels to muscles and tendons.
Dr. Vonda Wright's Guide to Thrive: 4 Steps to Body, Brains, and Bliss

Dr. Wright unfolds her Guide to Thrive by preparing readers for six remarkable months of body, brains, and bliss transformation, using her framework of the four practical steps. As a scientist and...

Continue Learning about Obesity

The Obesity Epidemic—Is Fast Food the Cause?
On the way home from the mall, did you swing into the drive-thru for a quick pick-me-up or a bucket of dinner for your family? Seemed harmless enough....
How safe is it for me to have surgery if I am obese?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
According to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, obesity is increasing in the US. In fact, nearl...
How much weight should I lose if I am obese?
Nicole Florence, MDNicole Florence, MD
Everyone has different starting points and therefore may initially have different goals. Ideally, a ...
What Diseases Do You Worry About?
What Diseases Do You Worry About?