How does pregnancy affect obesity?

If you're obese and become pregnant, expect to gain some weight. Obese women typically gain between 11 and 20 pounds during pregnancy, according to the March of Dimes. This is normal, and you should not attempt to eat a low-calorie diet in order to lose weight if you're obese and pregnant. Restricting your calories could deprive your developing baby of the nutrients it needs for normal growth. Talk to your doctor about what type of diet makes sense for you during pregnancy.

Pregnancy requires a certain amount of weight gain in women. However, once the child is born, it can be difficult for women to return to regular weight. This extra weight, if not lost, can cause later struggles with obesity. This is most common in women who have had many children in a short amount of time. A helpful way to lose pregnancy weight is through breastfeeding.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Gaining Weight for No Reason? Check This Out
You're eating right and working out, yet your pants keep getting tighter. What's the deal? Could be your thyroid. A sluggish thyroid -- even one that...
How can I stay healthy if I'm overweight?
The surprising fact is that just being overweight won't do you much harm if you do not make poor...
What causes obesity?
Wesley Medical CenterWesley Medical Center
Obesity is a complex disorder involving an excessive amount of body fat, and usually results from a ...
Should Cities Ban Large Sodas?
Should Cities Ban Large Sodas?