How common is obesity?

Obesity, defined as a body mass index (BMI) of above 30, is now extremely common in the United States. Around a third of adults in the US are obese. Seventeen percent of children are obese or overweight. Obesity is also increasing internationally.

The World Health Organization (WHO) defines obesity as a disease in which excess fat is accumulated to an extent that health may be adversely affected. Obesity is a complex, misunderstood and mistreated disease. With over 30 percent of the United States adult population suffering from it, it has become the number one public health concern, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Continue Learning about Obesity

Your Chance of Beating Stress And Fat
Your Chance of Beating Stress And Fat
True, a healthy amount of body fat has great powers. It promotes reproductive health, good skin quality and clear thinking. Fat cells also help trigge...
What are some medical reasons for weight gain?
Some illnesses and medical conditions can make you gain weight, which increases your risk for becomi...
What can I do about my hypothalamic obesity?
If you have been diagnosed with hypothalamic obesity by a physician you should follow his or her...
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?