How can being overweight affect the joints?

Edward Phillips
Physical Therapy
Being overweight raises your risk for developing osteoarthritis in a weight-bearing joint like the knee—and even in the hand, according to some research, since inflammatory factors related to weight might exacerbate this condition. Simply walking across level ground puts up to one-and-a-half times your body weight on your knees. That means a 200-pound man will deliver 300 pounds of pressure to his knee with each step. Off level ground, the news is worse: each knee bears two to three times your body weight when you go up and down stairs, and four to five times your body weight when you squat to tie a shoelace or pick up an item you dropped.

Continue Learning about Obesity

The Obesity Sentence
The Obesity Sentence
According to researchers in Canada, if you’re obese, you may be giving yourself a devastating life-shortening sentence. Here’s...
How long does it take for a person to get approved for weight loss surgery?
The amount of time it takes for a person to get aproved for weight loss surgery can depend mostly on...
How safe is it for me to have surgery if I am obese?
Arthur W. Perry, MDArthur W. Perry, MD
According to the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, obesity is increasing in the US. In fact, nearl...
What Are the Biggest Health Problems In the US Today?