Can some prescription drugs make me gain weight?

Be aware of how medications may affect body weight. Many common prescription medications have profound effects on metabolism and hormone fluctuations. Some psychiatric drugs, particularly the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), are well-known for adding weight to the person taking them. Prednisone and anti-inflammatories can also add extra pounds. Do a little research, and ask your doctor if weight gain may be a side effect.

If a required medication does add body weight, ask your doctor if there's an alternative that may not have this side effect. If may be something you have to live with, but there may be ways to counteract it. Again, tell your doctor of your concerns. He or she has probably encountered this problem with other patients and may have a workable solution.

You already know that Alfredo sauce and buttered biscuits can plump you up. So can the drugs you take. In a small percentage of people, medications can work against you by increasing your appetite or making you drowsy so you burn fewer calories during the day. Some of the most common offenders include certain anti-depressants, anti-psychotics, anti-histamines, migraine meds, steroids, some blood pressure meds, and insulin. You should check your weight constantly when you start a new drug and let a five-pound gain be an alarm that something's going wrong, so you can talk to your doc about other options.

You: Being Beautiful - The Owner's Manual to Inner and Outer Beauty

Most people think that beauty revolves around such things as lipstick, sweet eyes, or skinny jeans -- all those things that we can see (and obsess over) in the mirror. But the fact is that beauty...

Continue Learning about Obesity

How Your Diet Now Can Affect Your Future Children
In 2007, the heaviest woman ever to give birth weighed in at 532 pounds and it took 30 doctors to perform the C-section. While she’s an extreme ex...
How can I stay healthy if I'm overweight?
The surprising fact is that just being overweight won't do you much harm if you do not make poor...
How common is obesity in the United States?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
One third of the U.S. population is overweight and another 40% is obese. Which means that most of th...
What Is Government's Role in the Childhood Obesity Epidemic?