Does obesity increase the risk of cancer of the uterus?

Obesity has been consistently associated with uterine (endometrial) cancer. Obese women have two to four times' greater risk of developing the disease than do women of a healthy weight, regardless of menopausal status. Increased risk has also been demonstrated among overweight women. Obesity has been estimated to account for about 40 percent of endometrial cancer cases in affluent societies.

It is unclear why obesity is a risk factor for endometrial cancer; however, it has been suggested that lifetime exposure to hormones and high levels of estrogen and insulin in obese women may be contributing factors.

This answer is based on source information from the National Cancer Institute.

Continue Learning about Obesity

The Best Support for Your Health
The Best Support for Your Health
If you’re one of the 29 million North American adults with diabetes, 79 million with pre-diabetes, 32 million with elevated total cholesterol, 78...
What is the difference between overweight and obese?
For adults, overweight and obesity ranges are determined by using weight and height to calculate a n...
What can I do about my hypothalamic obesity?
If you have been diagnosed with hypothalamic obesity by a physician you should follow his or her...
What Is Normal Weight Obesity?
What Is Normal Weight Obesity?