Does being obese put me at greater health risk?

According to the CDC, as overweight and obesity increase, the risks for the following conditions also increase: Coronary heart disease; Type 2 diabetes; Cancers (endometrial, breast, and colon); Hypertension (high blood pressure); Dyslipidemia (for example, high total cholesterol or high levels of triglycerides); Stroke; Liver and Gallbladder disease; Sleep apnea and respiratory problems; Osteoarthritis (a degeneration of cartilage and its underlying bone within a joint); Gynecological problems (abnormal menses, infertility).

Continue Learning about Obesity

Turn Back the Clock on the Obesity Epidemic
Were you breaking into the workforce back when Elvis was king and a gallon of gas cost 25 cents? Yes? Then your job was probably active enough to keep...
What should I be aware of if I am overweight and need abdominal surgery?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
We all have a fair amount of fatty tissue in our abdominal cavities that surgeons must deal with...
6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk
6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk6 Surprising Factors That Increase Your Obesity Risk
You knew overeating and inactivity can up your odds—but the list doesn't end there.
What's Wrong with Our Healthcare System?