Do I have a greater chance of hypertension if I am obese?

People who are obese have an increased risk of developing hypertension, also called high blood pressure. In fact, hypertension is thought to be the most common health complication associated with obesity. Although several theories exist, scientists aren't sure why obesity and hypertension are so closely linked. This much is known: Fewer than one-third of obese people with hypertension have their blood pressure under control. Losing weight, eating a healthy diet, getting regular exercise and taking proper medication can control blood pressure. Whether or not you're obese, it's important to have your blood pressure checked on a routine basis.
Craig B. Primack, MD
General Practice
Yes, there is a strong correlation between hypertension (high blood pressure) and weight. As we learn more about our fat stores, we find that they have an abundance of hormones that are secreted and send signals throughout our bodies. As our fat cells fill up with excess energy, some of these hormones trigger adaptive responses that cause our blood pressure to rise.

It is important to remember that even 5-10% weight loss will greatly decrease the risk of having high blood pressure or even having to take medications for it. 
Yes, obesity and hypertension are strongly linked. In fact, high blood pressure is twice as common in obese adults than in adults who maintain a healthy weight. Not only can high blood pressure damage the blood vessels throughout the body, but hypertension leads to heart attacks.

High blood pressure makes your heart work harder than it should and increases stress on the heart muscle and arteries, setting them up for possible injury. The effects of hypertension are serious and include an increased risk of stroke and a decline in cognitive function.

Over time, if blood pressure remains high and untreated, the heart muscle can no longer compensate. This results in an enlarged and weakened heart.  At this point, you may get shortness of breath with physical activity and exercise. Sometimes this noticeable symptom sends people to the doctor where they are diagnosed with hypertension or heart disease.

Continue Learning about Obesity

The Obesity Sentence
The Obesity Sentence
According to researchers in Canada, if you’re obese, you may be giving yourself a devastating life-shortening sentence. Here’s...
Can morbid obesity be treated through diet alone?
Treating morbid obesity through diet alone is not recommended. A healthy and safe calorie-restricted...
What should I be aware of if I am overweight and need abdominal surgery?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
We all have a fair amount of fatty tissue in our abdominal cavities that surgeons must deal with...
Are Obesity and Erectile Dysfunction Related?