Can words make me crave certain foods?

Words can sometimes make you crave certain foods, especially if you’re significantly overweight. If you’re obese, you may find descriptions of fattening foods more enticing. A study was conducted in which a group of obese adults and a group of normal-weight adults experienced stress and were then shown words describing high-calorie, low-calorie and non-food items. The participants who were obese had a stronger response to words associated with high-calorie foods, such as chocolate spread and chicken wings. And only those volunteers who were obese ate more when subjected to stress. So if you or someone you love is obese, you may want to cut down on both treats and conversations about treats.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Turn Back the Clock on the Obesity Epidemic
Were you breaking into the workforce back when Elvis was king and a gallon of gas cost 25 cents? Yes? Then your job was probably active enough to keep...
What percentage of Americans are overweight?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
Citizens of the world's richest countries are getting fatter and fatter, and the Americans are leadi...
How much weight should I lose if I am obese?
Nicole Florence, MDNicole Florence, MD
Everyone has different starting points and therefore may initially have different goals. Ideally, a ...
How Do We Fight Obesity?
How Do We Fight Obesity?