Can words make me crave certain foods?

Words can sometimes make you crave certain foods, especially if you’re significantly overweight. If you’re obese, you may find descriptions of fattening foods more enticing. A study was conducted in which a group of obese adults and a group of normal-weight adults experienced stress and were then shown words describing high-calorie, low-calorie and non-food items. The participants who were obese had a stronger response to words associated with high-calorie foods, such as chocolate spread and chicken wings. And only those volunteers who were obese ate more when subjected to stress. So if you or someone you love is obese, you may want to cut down on both treats and conversations about treats.

Trinity Health is a Catholic health care organization that acts in accordance with the Catholic tradition and does not condone or support all practices covered in this site. In case of emergency call 911. This site is educational and not a substitute for professional medical advice, always seek the advice of a qualified healthcare provider.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Shocking Facts About Obesity You Haven’t Heard Before
You may know there’s an obesity epidemic, but you might not know how truly shocking the numbers are. A 2017 study published in the New England Journal...
How common is obesity in the United States?
UCLA HealthUCLA Health
One third of the U.S. population is overweight and another 40% is obese. Which means that most of th...
When should I seek immediate help if I am obese?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you are obese, seek immediate help or call 911 if: you have a rash, hives, swelling, itchy skin o...
Can the Obesity Pandemic Be Reversed?
Can the Obesity Pandemic Be Reversed?