How can I measure my waist circumference and waist-to-hip ratio?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

It’s easy to calculate your waist hip ratio. First, breathe out and measure your waist in inches at its narrowest point. Write down the number. Then measure your hips at the widest point, and write it down. Divide your waist measurement by your hip measurement to get your waist hip ratio. For women, the waist-to-hip score should not exceed 0.80.  For men the score should not exceed 0.95.

Still, no matter what your BMI or waist-to-hip ratio, don’t lose hope! You can start to make positive changes in the way you eat and exercise today that will let you lose extra weight and lower the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and certain types of cancer.

Continue Learning about Obesity

what are some medical reasons for weight gain ?
There are some medical conditions that can cause you to gain weight or make weight loss harder than ...
what is a balanced diet ?
what is a balanced diet ?
how do i measure my waist to hip ratio ?
was there a specific year that obesity rates began to rise ?