Can exercise solve America's obesity problem?

In America, obesity-related diseases add a staggering $119 billion to the nation’s annual health-care costs. Fortunately, obesity is an entirely preventable problem. Unfortunately, most policy makers are still vastly unaware of just how powerful a cure regular exercise is, as proven by countless medical and scientific studies. In fact, regular exercise is the common denominator among individuals who have maintained significant weight loss.

With more policies that offer incentives for fitness and wellness activities—both financial and otherwise—people will make healthier choices. There are things one can do right away. Policymakers, for example, should allow individuals and families to pay for certain physical activities using pre-tax accounts, such as a flexible spending account. At the workplace, CEOs can sign the CEO Pledge of the National Coalition for Promoting Physical Activity and commit to creating supportive work environments for physical activity.

Continue Learning about Obesity

Childhood Obesity: The 64-Calorie Solution
My daughter, who’s 13, has started asking a lot of questions about food. She wanted to know, for example, if the mango smoothies she likes have a lot ...
What is being done to combat obesity in Native American communities?
dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!dLife - It's YOUR Diabetes Life!
Native American culture does not view obesity as taboo, believing it to be ordinary and healthy. Thi...
When should I call my doctor if I am obese?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you are obese, call your healthcare provider if: you have diarrhea due to your treatment for obes...
Is the Obesity Epidemic Getting Worse?
Is the Obesity Epidemic Getting Worse?