Can my abdominal fat determine my cardiovascular disease risk?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Abdominal obesity is highly associated with metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance, elevated inflammatory markers, high cholesterol, high triglycerides, high blood pressure, dyslipidemia, and hypertension. It is much more strongly linked to these conditions than body mass index is. So, apparently it is not how much you weigh, but rather where you store your fat, that determines your risk of cardiovascular disease.

Abdominal fat tissue was previously regarded as an inert storage depot; however, the emerging concept describes adipose tissue as a complex and highly active metabolic and endocrine organ. Fat cells secrete adipokines, hormonelike compounds that control insulin sensitivity and appetite. As abdominal fat accumulates, it leads to alterations in adipokines that ultimately promote insulin resistance and an increased appetite, thereby adding more abdominal fat. Fortunately, reduction of abdominal fat through dietary means and increased physical activity can reestablish insulin sensitivity and reduce appetite.

What the Drug Companies Won't Tell You and Your Doctor Doesn't Know: The Alternative Treatments That May Change Your Life--and the Prescriptions That Could Harm You

From one of today's leading authorities on natural medicine comes a provocative look into how the pharmaceutical and medical industries have created our current health crisis and a practical guide to...

Continue Learning about Obesity

The Obesity Sentence
The Obesity Sentence
According to researchers in Canada, if you’re obese, you may be giving yourself a devastating life-shortening sentence. Here’s...
When should I call my doctor if I am obese?
Riverside Health SystemRiverside Health System
If you are obese, call your healthcare provider if: you have diarrhea due to your treatment for obes...
How common is obesity?
Sigma NursingSigma Nursing
Obesity, defined as a body mass index (BMI) of above 30, is now extremely common in the United State...
How Does Obesity Affect Children?
How Does Obesity Affect Children?