What should I know about Venofer before I get it?

Before you receive an injection of Venofer (iron sucrose), you should know why your doctor is prescribing it and what the side effects may be. Venofer is a solution that is injected into a vein to treat iron-deficiency anemia in adults with chronic kidney disease.

Iron is vital to helping your red blood cells transport oxygen throughout your body and to your brain. However, iron-deficiency anemia is common in people with chronic kidney disease. In addition, people undergoing hemodialysis often lose blood -- and when they're given drugs to ramp up production of red blood cells, they can run short of iron unless they're given extra.

Unlike oral iron that is absorbed into your bloodstream from your gastrointestinal tract, Venofer is injected directly into your bloodstream to produce red blood cells quickly.

Your doctor or nurse will monitor you while you receive your Venofer infusion and for at least half an hour afterward for signs of an allergic reaction, such as low blood pressure, loss of consciousness and collapse.

You should call your doctor if you experience any side effects over the days or weeks after you receive Venofer. These include:
  • ear pain
  • eye infection ("pink eye")
  • gastrointestinal problems (stomach pain, diarrhea, altered sense of taste, nausea, vomiting and indigestion)
  • dizziness
  • headache
  • joint pain
  • back pain
  • muscle pain or tenderness
  • pain or swelling in extremities, fluid retention or gout
  • abnormally high or low blood sugar
  • low or high blood pressure
  • skin itching
  • cough
  • sinusitis
  • nasal congestion
  • upper respiratory infection
  • fever
  • weakness
  • chest pain
  • pain or burning at the injection site

Continue Learning about Nutritive Agent

Will the FDA Regulate Supplement Safety?
The teaser for the 2018 film Vitamania, a documentary about the history of supplements, recounts a disastrous 1913 Antarctic trek. The last two remain...
Can eucalyptus oil help me breathe?
Eucalyptus oil can help you breathe easier and kill off bacteria in your lungs. Watch as Dr. Oz ...
What risks are associated with Lipozene?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Because Lipozene is made of glucomannan, which is a fiber, the majority of side effects are just lik...
What are possible side effects of using supplements?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Sometimes a supplement or herb may counteract the effects of your prescription medication, leavi...