What is Venofer?

Venofer (iron sucrose) is a solution injected into a vein to treat iron-deficiency anemia in adults with chronic kidney disease. The iron in Venofer is absorbed into cells that eventually mature into red blood cells.

Iron is vital to helping your red blood cells transport oxygen throughout your body and to your brain. However, iron-deficiency anemia is common in people with chronic kidney ailments. In addition, people undergoing dialysis often lose blood -- and when they're given drugs to ramp up production of red blood cells, they can run short of iron unless they're given extra in the form of an iron solution such as Venofer.

Continue Learning about Nutritive Agent

Will the FDA Regulate Supplement Safety?
The teaser for the 2018 film Vitamania, a documentary about the history of supplements, recounts a disastrous 1913 Antarctic trek. The last two remain...
Are supplements safe?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
As I’ve learned more about natural therapies, I realize that some alternative therapies are viable...
What are possible side effects of using supplements?
Sometimes a supplement or herb may counteract the effects of your prescription medication, leavi...
What risks are associated with Lipozene?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Because Lipozene is made of glucomannan, which is a fiber, the majority of side effects are just lik...