What is potassium acetate?

Potassium acetate is an intravenous solution used to provide potassium to a person with low potassium levels, known as hypokalemia, or a person who is in danger of developing low potassium levels due to illness or poor diet. Potassium is necessary for the proper functioning of muscles and nerves, particularly the heart. Potassium acetate must be mixed with fluid before being administered into the vein, and electrolyte levels should be monitored regularly. If potassium and other electrolytes are not balanced, many different illnesses could result. This drug is sold as a generic, and is manufactured by several different companies.

Continue Learning about Nutritive Agent

Will the FDA Regulate Supplement Safety?
The teaser for the 2018 film Vitamania, a documentary about the history of supplements, recounts a disastrous 1913 Antarctic trek. The last two remain...
What are possible side effects of using supplements?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Sometimes a supplement or herb may counteract the effects of your prescription medication, leavi...
Are supplements safe?
As I’ve learned more about natural therapies, I realize that some alternative therapies are viable...
Can eucalyptus oil help me breathe?
Eucalyptus oil can help you breathe easier and kill off bacteria in your lungs. Watch as Dr. Oz ...