What should I know about sodium acetate before receiving it?

Sodium acetate is a solution that provides sodium, as an alternative to sodium chloride. It is used only after being diluted and is added to a large volume of fluids meant for an IV infusion. An overload of sodium is bad for the body and can lead to severe water retention, so sodium acetate should be used with a great deal of precaution in people who suffer from congestive heart failure, kidney and liver problems and edema. In addition, one must also be careful while administering sodium acetate to people who suffer from metabolic or respiratory alkalosis.

Continue Learning about Nutritive Agent

Will the FDA Regulate Supplement Safety?
The teaser for the 2018 film Vitamania, a documentary about the history of supplements, recounts a disastrous 1913 Antarctic trek. The last two remain...
Are supplements safe?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
As I’ve learned more about natural therapies, I realize that some alternative therapies are viable...
Can eucalyptus oil help me breathe?
Eucalyptus oil can help you breathe easier and kill off bacteria in your lungs. Watch as Dr. Oz ...
What are possible side effects of using supplements?
Sometimes a supplement or herb may counteract the effects of your prescription medication, leavi...