Who should not take normal saline?

There are very few situations in which normal saline for injection or for irrigation should not be used. It is extremely unlikely that anyone is allergic to normal saline for injection because it contains only sodium chloride and water, normal components of all human bodies. Allergic reactions may occur if the patient is allergic to any component in the container which is usually a plastic bag or, occasionally, a glass bottle. Anyone who is fluid overloaded (has too much fluid volume in the blood system or tissues) should be very carefully monitored while receiving normal saline. People with congestive heart failure, heart disease, kidney problems, high blood pressure, swelling in the extremities or shortness of breath when lying down could be fluid overloaded.

Continue Learning about Nutritive Agent

Will the FDA Regulate Supplement Safety?
The teaser for the 2018 film Vitamania, a documentary about the history of supplements, recounts a disastrous 1913 Antarctic trek. The last two remain...
What are possible side effects of using supplements?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Sometimes a supplement or herb may counteract the effects of your prescription medication, leavi...
Can eucalyptus oil help me breathe?
Eucalyptus oil can help you breathe easier and kill off bacteria in your lungs. Watch as Dr. Oz ...
Are supplements safe?
As I’ve learned more about natural therapies, I realize that some alternative therapies are viable...