Can I make my own oral rehydration therapy solution?

If you cannot find an oral rehydration salt fluid or packet, you can make your own. You will need the right combination of salt and sugar to avoid serious problems, especially in young children. For children, try the following recipe:

• 1 quart of purified water
• 6 teaspoons of sugar or honey
• 1/4 teaspoon of table salt
• 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda\

Give your child a teaspoon every 15 to 20 minutes, gradually increasing the amount of liquid. Talk to your child’s doctor before giving your child any solution.

Continue Learning about Nutritive Agent

Will the FDA Regulate Supplement Safety?
The teaser for the 2018 film Vitamania, a documentary about the history of supplements, recounts a disastrous 1913 Antarctic trek. The last two remain...
What are possible side effects of using supplements?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Sometimes a supplement or herb may counteract the effects of your prescription medication, leavi...
Are supplements safe?
As I’ve learned more about natural therapies, I realize that some alternative therapies are viable...
Can eucalyptus oil help me breathe?
Eucalyptus oil can help you breathe easier and kill off bacteria in your lungs. Watch as Dr. Oz ...