How is Venofer given?

Venofer (iron sucrose) is injected or infused into a vein to treat iron-deficiency anemia in adults who have chronic kidney disease. Your doctor, nurse or other healthcare provider will give you a slow injection over 2 to 5 minutes, or will infuse a more dilute preparation over 15 minutes or so. Intravenous infusions of Venofer are sometimes used for people who are at risk of potentially dangerous drops in blood pressure.

Venofer can be given in doses of 100 milligrams (mg) iron; in that case, most people will receive 10 doses for a total of 1,000 mg. Another option is to take 200 mg in each of 5 doses over 14 days.

Your healthcare provider will monitor you carefully while you receive Venofer and for at least half an hour afterward to make sure you do not have a reaction to it.

Continue Learning about Nutritive Agent

Will the FDA Regulate Supplement Safety?
The teaser for the 2018 film Vitamania, a documentary about the history of supplements, recounts a disastrous 1913 Antarctic trek. The last two remain...
Are supplements safe?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
As I’ve learned more about natural therapies, I realize that some alternative therapies are viable...
What are possible side effects of using supplements?
Sometimes a supplement or herb may counteract the effects of your prescription medication, leavi...
Can eucalyptus oil help me breathe?
Eucalyptus oil can help you breathe easier and kill off bacteria in your lungs. Watch as Dr. Oz ...