How can I make saline solution?

Saline, also called saline solution, is sterile salt water. It can have different amounts of salt in it. “Normal” saline has about 0.9% salt. You can make it or buy it. To make a saline solution:
  • Get a clean storage container and mixing utensil. Either wash them in the dishwasher or boil them for five minutes.
  • Use 1 quart (4 cups) of distilled water or boil 1 quart of tap water for five minutes. Do not use well water or sea water.
  • Add 2 teaspoons of table salt.
  • Mix the water and salt well until the salt is completely dissolved.
  • Cool to room temperature before using.
Saline solution can be stored at room temperature in a tightly covered glass or plastic bottle. You can keep it for up to one week. Always label it and include the date.

Continue Learning about Nutritive Agent

Will the FDA Regulate Supplement Safety?
The teaser for the 2018 film Vitamania, a documentary about the history of supplements, recounts a disastrous 1913 Antarctic trek. The last two remain...
Are supplements safe?
Dietary supplements are safe when used as directed. This means taking the recommended dosage as ...
Can eucalyptus oil help me breathe?
Eucalyptus oil can help you breathe easier and kill off bacteria in your lungs. Watch as Dr. Oz ...
What are possible side effects of using supplements?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Sometimes a supplement or herb may counteract the effects of your prescription medication, leavi...