Are supplements safe?

Dietary supplements are safe when used as directed. This means taking the recommended dosage as well as informing your doctor and your pharmacist about every supplement and drug you’re taking before adding a new one. This is important because some supplements can interact dangerously with certain medications or cause surgical complications. For example, garlic, gingko biloba and vitamin E can all act as blood thinners, possibly causing dangerous postsurgical bleeding. Also keep in mind that a supplement is just that -- a nutrient meant to bolster the rest of your diet. It cannot cure any ailment or prevent disease. But it can reduce your risk of certain illnesses and alleviate the symptoms of others. To read the scientific research on popular supplements, visit the website for the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Most important: Never substitute a dietary supplement for medications or other treatments without first talking to your doctor.
This is kind of a open ended question.  Some people just don't realize that most supplements are not regulated and in turn you don't know what you putting in your body.  Most companies only have to make sure they have a cetain amount in what they claim in there supplements.  As I tell all my clients make sure you research what you are going to put in your body.  While most supplements won't kill you or even hurt you at all but they can be a waste of your money by not really giving you what they claim
As I’ve learned more about natural therapies, I realize that some alternative therapies are viable treatment for women with chronic pain. While these therapies have not been tested as rigorously as pharmaceuticals, that does not mean that all are sham. Most physicians are aware of medications that have been well-tested yet still have dangerous side effects. A good Web site that keeps consumers informed about dietary supplements that may be unsafe or recalled is http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/safety.htm. Check this site periodically to make sure you are taking safe supplements. Also, be sure and let your doctors know that you are taking dietary supplements, as they may have unrecognized side effects or interact with one of your medications.

Continue Learning about Nutritive Agent

Will the FDA Regulate Supplement Safety?
The teaser for the 2018 film Vitamania, a documentary about the history of supplements, recounts a disastrous 1913 Antarctic trek. The last two remain...
What are possible side effects of using supplements?
Debra Fulghum Bruce PhDDebra Fulghum Bruce PhD
Sometimes a supplement or herb may counteract the effects of your prescription medication, leavi...
What risks are associated with Lipozene?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
Because Lipozene is made of glucomannan, which is a fiber, the majority of side effects are just lik...
Can eucalyptus oil help me breathe?
Eucalyptus oil can help you breathe easier and kill off bacteria in your lungs. Watch as Dr. Oz ...