Why should I see a registered dietitian (RD)?

Vandana  R. Sheth
A regisitered dietitian (RD) can help you enhance your quality of life by identifying nutritional deficiencies and ways to improve your overall health with good food. Registered dietitians are the food and nutrition experts. Whether you are looking for help with disease prevention or management, a registed dietitan can help. To find a registered dietitian in your area visit www.eatright.org.
Jessica Crandall
Consulting with a registered dietitian (RD) is helpful in many ways. We can help you meet your nutritional goals, set appropriate guidelines, clarify confusion regarding nutrition contradictions and we have been proven as cost effective tool for both preventative health services as well as disease management. RDs work in a variety of settings and offer various areas of specialization to address your nutritional concerns.
Nutrition is an essential component of healthy living and reaching your fitness goals. If you have goals to alter body composition, such as gaining muscle mass or reducing body fat, registered dieticians are a valuable resource. Most have extensive nutritional training and will be able to guide you to get the results you want.
If you're looking to lose weight or have problems dieting, visiting an RD can have significant advantages. In a recent study of overweight individuals published in Managed Care, nutrition counseling provided by an RD was shown to be more successful in helping individuals lose weight compared to those who did not receive the RD counseling. In this example, those that received RD counseling had twice the odds of achieving a clinically significant weight loss.
Christina Rollins
A registered dietitian is the food and nutrition expert. Registered dietitians are required to earn a Bachelor of Science degree from an accredited university. He or she must then go on to complete a dietetic internship, which takes approximately 1 year. In addition, many registered dietitians also earn a Masters or even Doctoral degree. Once education is completed, the candidate must then pass a national exam to demonstrate a comprehensive knowledge base. 

Registered dietitians are trained in evidence-based care, meaning the advice they provide is sound, valid information. For more information, visit the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics website at www.eatright.org. 
Registered dietitians (RDs) require degrees in nutrition, public health and related fields such as biochemistry, medicine or a specialty in family and consumer sciences come from well-respected, accredited colleges and universities.

RDs have the skills and knowledge to translate nutrition science into practical meal planning. A registered dietitian can assist with eating disorders; work with your health-care team by helping you change your eating plan pre- or post-surgery; and help you set goals for athletic performance -- whether you're running a marathon or jogging with your dog.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Could MSG Affect Your Waistline?
Could MSG Affect Your Waistline?
Heard about the unpleasant reactions some people may have to monosodium glutamate (MSG)? Well, here's another potential drawback: weight gain. In a C...
How do nutrients affect neurotransmission?
Robert J. Hedaya, MDRobert J. Hedaya, MD
Neurotransmission is a process which is dependent on having adequate "ingredients" to synthesize neu...
Why is it important to eat foods that are good for the brain?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
We pay a lot of attention to diet and training programs, but they sometimes fail because our brains ...
How Can I Get My Children to Eat More Vegetables?