Why should I consider reducing my family's fortified nutrient intake?

Environmental Working Group recommends that parents give their children products with no more than 20-25% of the adult daily value for vitamin A, zinc and niacin, and monitor their children’s intake of these and other foods so kids do not get too much of these nutrients. Because too much vitamin A can cause birth defects, pregnant women should watch their intake of products fortified with vitamin A, especially if they are taking a vitamin pill. Older adults should also carefully monitor vitamin A in their diets and supplements in order to avoid the risks of osteoporosis and hip fractures associated with high vitamin A intake.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Eating to Beat the Blues
Eating to Beat the Blues
Our kids always liked passages like this when they weren’t feeling well -- and there’s a lesson in it for you too! In Winnie the Pooh, gloomy Eeyore t...
Does Spirulina really work?
Spirulina is full of nutrients including protein, beta-carotene, phycocyanin, B-complex vitamins...
Why should I avoid non-fat salad dressing?
Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhDDr. Rovenia Brock, PhD
People often view products with the "non-fat" stamp with a false sense of security. In this vide...
What Foods Are Good Sources of Carotenoids?