Why should the nutrition labeling for children differ from that for adults?

The nutritional needs of four-to-eight-years-old cannot be grouped with adults, although they are by FDA guidelines. They eat a different diet than adults do; their bodies are smaller; their vitamin and mineral needs are different; and their tolerance for excessive intake of vitamins and minerals is much lower. Combining four-to-eight-year-olds with adults for the purpose of nutrition labeling makes no scientific sense and leads to potentially harmful over-exposures to fortified vitamins and minerals. The FDA is currently in the process of updating the nutrient daily values for the Nutrition Facts labels. However, for 17 vitamins and minerals, the Food and Drug Administration's proposed daily values are at least twice the recommended dietary allowances (RDA) for children ages 4 to 8.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Your Gut and Heart Health Connection
Your Gut and Heart Health Connection
What does your gut have to have to do with your heart health and other chronic diseases? A lot. In the past few years, scientists have been investiga...
Can a poor diet have an affect on overall hair health?
Like your skin, your hair can be a reflection of your overall health. If you're not eating a hea...
What are the health benefits of eating dark foods?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Blueberries and blackberries receive their coloring from phytonutrient flavonoids. The phytonutrient...
What Foods Should I Avoid During the Holidays?