Why should I avoid non-fat salad dressing?

Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhD

People often view products with the "non-fat" stamp with a false sense of security. In this video, nutritionist Dr. Rovenia Brock reveals why regular salad dressings are best.

Salad dressing is more than a way to make greens taste better, they’re important for nutrient uptake. According to researchers from Purdue University, the fat content of dressing is essential for the absorption of fat-soluble carotenoids like lutein, lycopene, beta-carotene and zeaxanthin. “If you want to utilize more from your fruits and vegetables, you have to pair them correctly with fat-based dressings,” said Mario Ferruzzi, the study’s lead author, in the journal Molecular Nutrition & Food Research.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Setting the Record Straight on Chocolate
“The greatest tragedies were written by the Greeks and Shakespeare . . . neither knew chocolate,” says Sandra Boynton, the author of the beloved birth...
Do I crave a certain food because my body needs its nutrients?
Abby EllinAbby Ellin
Maria Pelchat, an associate professor at the Monell Chemical Senses Center, a private research f...
What is the goal of nutrition counseling?
Nora ClemensNora Clemens
The goal of nutritional counseling will vary according to each person's unique health needs. Weight ...
Is Eating Organic Foods the Healthiest Choice?