Why should I avoid non-fat salad dressing?

Salad dressing is more than a way to make greens taste better, they’re important for nutrient uptake. According to researchers from Purdue University, the fat content of dressing is essential for the absorption of fat-soluble carotenoids like lutein, lycopene, beta-carotene and zeaxanthin. “If you want to utilize more from your fruits and vegetables, you have to pair them correctly with fat-based dressings,” said Mario Ferruzzi, the study’s lead author, in the journal Molecular Nutrition & Food Research.
Dr. Rovenia Brock, PhD

People often view products with the "non-fat" stamp with a false sense of security. In this video, nutritionist Dr. Rovenia Brock reveals why regular salad dressings are best.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Your Gut and Heart Health Connection
Your Gut and Heart Health Connection
What does your gut have to have to do with your heart health and other chronic diseases? A lot. In the past few years, scientists have been investiga...
How does what I eat affect my hair?
For your hair to have the shine and shape that you want, it needs protein and healthy fat -- not dir...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
What Foods are Nutritious for My Skin?
What Foods are Nutritious for My Skin?