Who should take carnitine?

Most people produce a sufficient amount of carnitine in their bodies. If you take a medication or have a medical condition that lowers your carnitine levels, you can find additional sources of carnitine in red meat and dairy products. You also can take supplements, such as acetyl-L-carnitine, if you need larger amounts than food can provide. Some conditions that could benefit from supplemental amounts of carnitine include: Alzheimer's disease, heart problems, diabetes, erectile dysfunction, low sperm count and Down syndrome.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Eating to Beat the Blues
Eating to Beat the Blues
Our kids always liked passages like this when they weren’t feeling well -- and there’s a lesson in it for you too! In Winnie the Pooh, gloomy Eeyore t...
What chemicals do experts recommend we limit our usage of?
Experts recommend limiting your usage of the following chemicals: Bisphenol-A (BPA). You may hav...
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
These surprising picks may be sabotaging your weight loss plan.
Is It Okay to Eat Pasta If I'm Trying to Lose Weight?