When should I call my doctor if I am taking tryptophan?

You should call your doctor before you start taking tryptophan (also called L-tryptophan), to ask whether the supplement is safe for you to take. Tryptophan was linked to the outbreak of a serious neurological condition that led to a number of deaths in 1989. It was temporarily banned, and although it is once again available, it is still considered possibly unsafe.

There is only preliminary evidence that tryptophan can help with some of the conditions people are most likely to take it for, including insomnia, depression and sleep apnea.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

The Armchair Quarterback Diet
The Armchair Quarterback Diet
Every year, by Super Bowl Sunday, my jeans have mysteriously shrunk a size. Okay, in truth, the jeans stay the same, but I get bigger. Why? I’m a foot...
What can I eat for sustained energy?
For sustained energy, combine complex carbohydrates with protein. Snacks to keep you going include l...
Why is it important to eat foods that are good for the brain?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
We pay a lot of attention to diet and training programs, but they sometimes fail because our brains ...
How Much Iron Do I Need In My Diet Each Day?