When should I call my doctor if I am taking tryptophan?

You should call your doctor before you start taking tryptophan (also called L-tryptophan), to ask whether the supplement is safe for you to take. Tryptophan was linked to the outbreak of a serious neurological condition that led to a number of deaths in 1989. It was temporarily banned, and although it is once again available, it is still considered possibly unsafe.

There is only preliminary evidence that tryptophan can help with some of the conditions people are most likely to take it for, including insomnia, depression and sleep apnea.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

How Your Body Responds to Just One High-Fat Meal
Before jumping on the latest trend that tells you it’s okay to pour cream or butter in your coffee, you should be aware of the four major effects that...
What are the nutritional benefits of eating quinoa?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Quinoa incorporates quite a lot of nutrients into tiny seeds. It contains more protein than most gra...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
What Are Some Healthy Ways to Serve Potatoes?