When should I call my doctor when taking carnitine?

If you are taking carnitine, which is available in a number of forms, including L-carnitine, acetyl-L-carnitine and propionyl-L-carnitine, your doctor should be aware of it before you start. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, heartburn, diarrhea, body odors and seizures. Your urine may smell fishy. With acetyl-L-carnitine, you may experience restlessness and agitation. If you have any of these symptoms, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Eating Processed Meats Ups Breast Cancer Risk
We refer to processed meats in all kinds of negative sayings: You’re ham-fisted (bumbling and awkward); you’re full of baloney (you don’t know what yo...
How do my genes influence my body's reaction to food?
The University of North Carolina Nutrition Research Institute is a leader in the growing field o...
What are the health benefits of eating dark foods?
Maoshing Ni, PhD, LAcMaoshing Ni, PhD, LAc
Blueberries and blackberries receive their coloring from phytonutrient flavonoids. The phytonutrient...
Curb Dieting Hunger With This Trick
Curb Dieting Hunger With This Trick