When should I call my doctor when taking carnitine?

If you are taking carnitine, which is available in a number of forms, including L-carnitine, acetyl-L-carnitine and propionyl-L-carnitine, your doctor should be aware of it before you start. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, heartburn, diarrhea, body odors and seizures. Your urine may smell fishy. With acetyl-L-carnitine, you may experience restlessness and agitation. If you have any of these symptoms, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Nutrition Boosters for Fruit and Veggies
Fresh fruit and veggies come packed with vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals. Or do they? Turns out it might depend on how you treat them. And no d...
What does Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) mean?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
I’ll explain RDI -- a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) term -- but first I’ll offer some backgroun...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
What are The Health Risks Associated with Perfluorooctanoic Acid (PFOA)?