When should I call my doctor when taking carnitine?

If you are taking carnitine, which is available in a number of forms, including L-carnitine, acetyl-L-carnitine and propionyl-L-carnitine, your doctor should be aware of it before you start. Side effects may include nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, heartburn, diarrhea, body odors and seizures. Your urine may smell fishy. With acetyl-L-carnitine, you may experience restlessness and agitation. If you have any of these symptoms, talk to your doctor.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Nutrition Boosters for Fruit and Veggies
Fresh fruit and veggies come packed with vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals. Or do they? Turns out it might depend on how you treat them. And no d...
What are wet foods?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Wet foods have two properties: high water volume (over 70%) and high fiber. If you bite into it and ...
What are the health benefits of eating dark chocolate?
Your body turns dark chocolate into anti-inflammatory substances that are beneficial to health. Thes...
Add This Fat-Fighting Spice to Your Drink