What vitamins and minerals do I need for bone health?

Calcium and vitamin D are the most important vitamins and minerals for bone health.  Calcium requires vitamin D for absorption so it is important to get both in your diet or via a supplement. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin so if you are taking a supplement, make sure that you take it with a meal.  Some of the best food sources for each are as follows:

Calcium: low/nonfat dairy, sesame seeds, dark green leafy vegetables and black eyed peas

Vitamin D: fatty fish like salmon or tuna, fortified low/nonfat milk, low/nonfat yogurt 

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
While recommendations used to be for just calcium, we know today that bone health requires a mixture of nutrients including vitamins D and K and minerals like calcium and magnesium, as well as other trace minerals. An evaluation of your diet, your bone building efforts, and any bone health risks with your doctor can help determine the best supplementation plan for you to achieve your healthy-bone goal.
Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged

From celebrated dietitian Ashley Koff and fitness trainer to the stars Kathy Kaehler comes Mom Energy, an exciting new way for moms to tap into their own natural and renewable sources of...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Eating Fast Food Can Cause Asthma and Other Allergies
One of Americans’ favorite fast food options is Chinese takeout. And that’s good because, with some attention, you can eliminate sugar-added, deep-fri...
Should I be on a special diet for my high iron level?
Howard E. Lewine, MDHoward E. Lewine, MD
Before making any changes in your diet, let's first consider what your high iron level means for you...
What foods can raise endorphin levels?
Frances Largeman-Roth, RDFrances Largeman-Roth, RD
Capsaicin is the chemical that makes hot peppers “hot.” When you eat hot peppers, your body responds...
What Is a Healthy Recipe for Holiday Cookies?