What type of fiber supplement should I take?

William B. Salt II., MD
Gastroenterology
Even with a fiber-rich diet, a fiber supplement may be needed to achieve a sufficient fiber intake. Several types of fiber supplements are available. The most natural is a product containing psyllium. Psyllium has the added advantage of lowering cholesterol levels. Although psyllium is generically  available, two brand name products that contain psyllium are Metamucil (3.4 grams per teaspoon) and Konsyl (6.0 grams per teaspoon). Check the product label to determine the fiber content per serving. Consider adding up to twenty grams of psyllium to your diet each day beginning with three to six grams per day and gradually increasing the amount over several weeks. Be patient; it can take weeks for your gastrointestinal tract to adjust to more fiber. Also be consistent by taking it daily rather than intermittently.
Still Hurting? FIND HEALTH! Discover What's Behind Your SYMPTOMS (That Doctors Can't Explain)

Still Hurting? FIND HEALTH! presents a new model of disease, which empowers readers suffering with pain, symptoms (e.g., fatigue), and symptom syndromes (e.g., irritable bowel, fibromyalgia, chronic...

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Healthy Eating Habits From Around the World
The end of the year is a good time for self-reflection, and we’ve been thinking about the advice we give you—on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle an...
What foods help build muscle?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Good nutrition supports strength building. A healthy meal plan of five to six small meals per day fu...
What foods can change my mood?
Julie Holland, MDJulie Holland, MD
Foods that can change your mood for the better include complex carbs, and foods that are rich in ome...
What Foods are Nutritious for My Skin?
What Foods are Nutritious for My Skin?