What should seniors know before using carnitine?

Seniors should consult a health-care provider before using a carnitine supplement. Although it's generally safe, it may cause side effects like stomach cramps and diarrhea.

This substance, which the body naturally produces from amino acids, helps convert fat into energy. Research suggests that carnitine may be beneficial for heart patients. Some preliminary studies suggest that carnitine may also help prevent age-related fatigue and improve mental function, which may be why some seniors are interested in it. But there's not enough evidence to support the use of carnitine.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

4 Smart Ways to Work With a Dietitian
4 Smart Ways to Work With a Dietitian
Eating plans for people with diabetes are like fingerprints: Each one is personal. If you need to manage your blood glucose levels, it’s generally a ...
What are the symptoms of toxic hunger?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
Toxic hunger is a physical addiction to an unhealthful, low-micronutrient diet. Its symptoms are...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
How Can Adding a Pinch of Salt to Fruit Help Curb My Craving for Sweets?