What should I look for related to fiber on a nutrition label?

When you buy a packaged food item, the Nutrition Facts panel on the side or back of the package can help you determine if that food is good for heart health. One category on the label that you will want to look at is Dietary Fiber, which includes both soluble and insoluble fiber and is listed in grams. Fiber helps protect against heart disease. A high-fiber food is defined by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as 5 grams or more per serving. Most people should aim for about 25 grams of fiber per day.

It is important to note dietary fiber is listed under Total Carbohydrate. Technically, fiber is considered a carbohydrate even though it is not digested and it provides no calories. The Total Carbohydrate value in grams includes the dietary fiber amount. For example, if Total Carbohydrate is 15 grams, and dietary fiber is 5 grams, then 5 of the 15 grams of carbohydrate is dietary fiber.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Is Arsenic in Your Family's Food?
Is Arsenic in Your Family's Food?
From rice and apple juice to beer and infant formula, a growing variety of foods and drinks are turning out to contain arsenic. At high levels, or ove...
What is functional eating?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Our bodies have remarkable metabolic capabilities. The challenge is knowing how to realize this ...
What treatment can I expect from my dietitian?
Alberta ScruggsAlberta Scruggs
You can expect professional, personalized and non-judgmental care from a dietitian. A dietitian has ...
What Is Toxic Hunger?
What Is Toxic Hunger?