What should I look for related to fiber on a nutrition label?

When you buy a packaged food item, the Nutrition Facts panel on the side or back of the package can help you determine if that food is good for heart health. One category on the label that you will want to look at is Dietary Fiber, which includes both soluble and insoluble fiber and is listed in grams. Fiber helps protect against heart disease. A high-fiber food is defined by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as 5 grams or more per serving. Most people should aim for about 25 grams of fiber per day.

It is important to note dietary fiber is listed under Total Carbohydrate. Technically, fiber is considered a carbohydrate even though it is not digested and it provides no calories. The Total Carbohydrate value in grams includes the dietary fiber amount. For example, if Total Carbohydrate is 15 grams, and dietary fiber is 5 grams, then 5 of the 15 grams of carbohydrate is dietary fiber.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Benefits of Spirulina
Benefits of Spirulina
Today, Mexico City sits in a dry basin, but back in the 16th century the area was filled with the waters of Lake Texcoco. That was home to the Aztecs,...
Why should I avoid artificial food coloring?
Stefanie Sacks, MSStefanie Sacks, MS
Food dyes have garnered enough controversy and research to deem them unsafe for consumption as noted...
What foods can I eat that will help keep me cool?
Mother Nature NetworkMother Nature Network
Looking for a natural, nutritional way to cool down during the hot days of July and August? Foods th...
Are Tomatoes Really Good for Us?
Are Tomatoes Really Good for Us?