What nutrients can help protect my body from the aging effects of stress?

The harmful effects of stress can wreak havoc on your body as you age. Keep your eyes, skin and liver healthy and vital with these three powerful nutrients.
  • Lutein for your eyes. As you get older, your eyes become vulnerable to macular degeneration, a disease that can severely damage your vision. Lutein protects your eyes from the oxidative stress and free-radical damage that could harm your eyesight. Look for at least 8 milligrams (mg) in your multivitamin, or you can get your daily dose from foods like kale, papaya and eggs.
  • Zinc for your skin. This nutrient acts as a 24-hour on-call skin mechanic. Zinc repairs the wear and tear caused by stressors to your skin. Zinc works to heal tissue by stimulating cell growth and regeneration. Look for zinc in supplement form. Try a dose of at least 8 mg in your multivitamin. Zinc is also found in many foods: Swiss and cheddar cheese, yogurt, baked beans, oysters, crab and lobster.
  • Glucosinolates for your liver. Your liver is responsible for detoxifying your body. Glucosinolates can help protect your liver by regulating the enzymes that assist in the detoxification process. The best way to get this important phytonutrient is through food sources like collard greens, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower.
 This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Why Everyone Should Monitor Their Blood Sugar
Glucose spikes, even in folks without prediabetes or diabetes, can be threatening. A new study in PLOS Biology found that healthy people without predi...
What does Recommended Daily Intake (RDI) mean?
Janis Jibrin, MS, RDJanis Jibrin, MS, RD
I’ll explain RDI -- a Food and Drug Administration (FDA) term -- but first I’ll offer some backgroun...
Which nutrients help support mental clarity?
Jacob TeitelbaumJacob Teitelbaum
Brain fog is becoming an increasing problem in our society. The B vitamins, especially B1 and B12, a...
Eat a Smart Lunch to Prevent Afternoon Fatigue