What nutrients can help protect my body from the aging effects of stress?

The harmful effects of stress can wreak havoc on your body as you age. Keep your eyes, skin and liver healthy and vital with these three powerful nutrients.
  • Lutein for your eyes. As you get older, your eyes become vulnerable to macular degeneration, a disease that can severely damage your vision. Lutein protects your eyes from the oxidative stress and free-radical damage that could harm your eyesight. Look for at least 8 milligrams (mg) in your multivitamin, or you can get your daily dose from foods like kale, papaya and eggs.
  • Zinc for your skin. This nutrient acts as a 24-hour on-call skin mechanic. Zinc repairs the wear and tear caused by stressors to your skin. Zinc works to heal tissue by stimulating cell growth and regeneration. Look for zinc in supplement form. Try a dose of at least 8 mg in your multivitamin. Zinc is also found in many foods: Swiss and cheddar cheese, yogurt, baked beans, oysters, crab and lobster.
  • Glucosinolates for your liver. Your liver is responsible for detoxifying your body. Glucosinolates can help protect your liver by regulating the enzymes that assist in the detoxification process. The best way to get this important phytonutrient is through food sources like collard greens, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower.
 This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Research Suggests Black Pepper May Have Anti-Cancer Properties
You probably use freshly ground black pepper to spice up your meals, but did you know that it has health-boosting antioxidants, too? A study in Fronti...
Why might I have too much acid in my body?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Things that contribute to an overly acidic system: Excess animal protein - If you eat animal pro...
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
These surprising picks may be sabotaging your weight loss plan.
Can I Eat Burgers If I'm Trying to Lose Weight?