What does the term natural on food labels mean?

Toby Smithson

The term natural written on a food label indicates that a product has no artificial ingredients or added color and that there is minimal processing. This term can only be used for meat and poultry and must indicate exactly the use of the term. For example if the product contains no added colorings. To get the most information, check the nutrition facts panel and the ingredients list.

Use of the term "natural" is not permitted in the ingredient list, with the exception of the phrase "natural flavorings." The Food and Drug Administration requires "natural" to be used in a manner that is truthful and not misleading; the product cannot contain added color, artificial flavors or synthetic substances.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

How Your Body Responds to Just One High-Fat Meal
Before jumping on the latest trend that tells you it’s okay to pour cream or butter in your coffee, you should be aware of the four major effects that...
Will eating breakfast improve my health?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
A recent study among men found an association between eating breakfast and a decreased risk of heart...
What foods can help me stay hydrated?
Low energy can be caused by dehydration, which reduces blood volume to the heart, making it harder t...
How Do You Balance the Need to Cook Good Meals with a Time-Constrained Culture?