What is lipoprotein(a)?

Ozgen Dogan
Lipoprotein(a) is produced by the liver and is formed when low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol binds to a protein called apolipoprotein(a). High levels are associated with an increased risk for heart disease. Whether a person has a lot of lipoprotein(a) or a little is chiefly determined by genetics. Niacin, as well as lowering LDL, can reduce high Lp(a) levels.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Is Orange Juice Really Good for You?
Is Orange Juice Really Good for You?
The Houston Astros play baseball in Minute Maid Park. The Tampa Bay Rays are in Tropicana Field. While this is great publicity for the orange juice in...
What should I do to prepare for a nutritional cleanse?
Alejandro Junger, MDAlejandro Junger, MD
The best way to prepare for a nutritional cleanse is go on an elimination diet and eat cleanly for a...
What should I eat to have energy and stay full all day?
Lean proteins and fiber are a powerful combination at any time of day, but especially for breakfast ...
Imagine Yourself Eating Healthier
Imagine Yourself Eating Healthier