What is insoluble fiber?

Emilia Klapp
Insoluble fiber is a subclass of fiber, which itself is a group of carbohydrates. This type of fiber leaves the body in much the same form as it enters because the body does not have the enzymes necessary to digest it. Because this fiber absorbs and holds water, it increases the size and weight of feces, which causes more frequent bowel movements. A diet rich in insoluble fiber is associated with lower blood pressure, decreased constipation, and a decreased risk of colon and rectal cancers.
Marisa Moore
Insoluble fiber does not dissolve in water.  Insoluble fiber is commonly referred to as "roughage" or nature's broom.  It's known for its ability to move waste through the body and as a result plays a key role in maintaining a healthy digestive tract.

Insoluble fiber is found naturally in whole-wheat bread, wheat bran and a variety of vegetables including cauliflower, green beans and potatoes with the skin.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

To Salt or Not to Salt
To Salt or Not to Salt
Yogi Berra once confided, “I didn’t really say everything I said.” We’re not sure if he said that before or after he said “take it with a grin of salt...
Why should I avoid non-fat salad dressing?
Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)Int'l Health, Racquet & Sportsclub Association (IHRSA)
Salad dressing is more than a way to make greens taste better, they’re important for nutrient uptake...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
How Important Is Nutrition in Terms of Health?