What is carnitine used for?

Naturally occurring carnitine is used by the body to turn food into energy. Supplemental forms of carnitine also can serve other purposes. Acetyl-L-carnitine is used to help treat and prevent age-related cognitive problems, such as Alzheimer's disease. Other possible conditions for which carnitine may help include: heart problems, male fertility problems, erectile dysfunction, birth defects, such as Down syndrome, and diabetes. Your doctor may recommend you use Acetyl-L-carnitine or another form of carnitine for other reasons as well.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Lose the “Secret Salt” Hiding in Your Food
Moviegoers love a good secret. There are more than 200 movies with the word “Secret” in the title—including, we kid you not, The Secret Lives of Denti...
What are the benefits of good nutrition?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
When you're eating nutrient-dense foods, you're giving your body the building blocks it needs. T...
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
These surprising picks may be sabotaging your weight loss plan.
What Healthy Foods Should I Keep in My Kitchen for My Family?