What foods can raise endorphin levels?

Frances Largeman-Roth, RD
Capsaicin is the chemical that makes hot peppers “hot.” When you eat hot peppers, your body responds to the burn of the heat by releasing endorphins. Getting an endorphin boost at night will help clear out end of day stress and keep you in a good mood before bed.

You needn’t reach for the hottest pepper, like Scotch bonnet or Thai bird’s eye, but it does need to have some heat (bell peppers don’t count). For mild heat, I like Anaheim or a small jalapeno to kick up a dish. It’s easy to add salsa to tacos, but you can also use hot peppers in casseroles, soups, stir-fries, or stuffed pepper dishes. Cooking doesn’t reduce the amount of capsaicin, but it will make eating hot peppers more approachable and achievable.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Glyphosates and Carbs: What’s the Harm?
Glyphosates and Carbs: What’s the Harm?
Q: I read that the weed killer glyphosate—the one found responsible for causing cancer in that groundskeeper in California—is showing up in breakfast ...
What is the role of micronutrients in the body?
dotFITdotFIT
The human diet requires both macronutrients (protein, fats and carbohydrates) and micronutrients (vi...
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
These surprising picks may be sabotaging your weight loss plan.
Can Reishi Mushrooms Prevent Cancer?
Can Reishi Mushrooms Prevent Cancer?