What foods should I avoid when taking carnitine?

If you take the dietary supplement carnitine, (available in the forms L-carnitine, propionyl-L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine), you can maintain your normal diet -- you don't need to eat anything special or avoid any particular food.

Most people make plenty of carnitine in their liver and kidneys, using amino acids found in food. But you may need extra carnitine if you are a vegan (no meat, no dairy), are taking certain antibiotics, have a genetic condition that prevents you from making carnitine or have a health condition such as diabetes or peripheral artery disease (PAD).

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Healthy Eating Habits From Around the World
The end of the year is a good time for self-reflection, and we’ve been thinking about the advice we give you—on how to maintain a healthy lifestyle an...
What should I do to prepare for a nutritional cleanse?
Alejandro Junger, MDAlejandro Junger, MD
The best way to prepare for a nutritional cleanse is go on an elimination diet and eat cleanly for a...
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
How to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar BombsHow to Spot 9 Hidden Sugar Bombs
These sneaky sugar sources can sabotage your diet and send blood sugar levels soaring.
What's a Healthy Recipe Using Quinoa?
What's a Healthy Recipe Using Quinoa?