What foods should I avoid when taking carnitine?

If you take the dietary supplement carnitine, (available in the forms L-carnitine, propionyl-L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine), you can maintain your normal diet -- you don't need to eat anything special or avoid any particular food.

Most people make plenty of carnitine in their liver and kidneys, using amino acids found in food. But you may need extra carnitine if you are a vegan (no meat, no dairy), are taking certain antibiotics, have a genetic condition that prevents you from making carnitine or have a health condition such as diabetes or peripheral artery disease (PAD).

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Why Everyone Should Monitor Their Blood Sugar
Glucose spikes, even in folks without prediabetes or diabetes, can be threatening. A new study in PLOS Biology found that healthy people without predi...
Why should I see a registered dietitian (RD)?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
A regisitered dietitian (RD) can help you enhance your quality of life by identifying nutritional de...
What are the pros and cons of eating fish?
Eating fish seems like one of the healthiest food choices you can make; fish is low in fat and high ...
What Are the Best Disease-Fighting Foods?