What foods should I avoid when taking carnitine?

If you take the dietary supplement carnitine, (available in the forms L-carnitine, propionyl-L-carnitine and acetyl-L-carnitine), you can maintain your normal diet -- you don't need to eat anything special or avoid any particular food.

Most people make plenty of carnitine in their liver and kidneys, using amino acids found in food. But you may need extra carnitine if you are a vegan (no meat, no dairy), are taking certain antibiotics, have a genetic condition that prevents you from making carnitine or have a health condition such as diabetes or peripheral artery disease (PAD).

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Why You Need to Add the Monster Radish to Your Diet
Sacagawea was the Shoshone Indian who helped guide Lewis and Clark’s 1805 expedition from Montana to the Pacific. Her bravery and navigational abiliti...
How can I help restore my body's acid-alkaline balance?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
You can help restore your body's acid-alkaline balance by having at least two alkaline-forming foods...
Is eating sour food dangerous?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
There is a difference between sour foods and spoiled foods. Sour foods can be fermented foods like s...
What Are the Health Benefits of Haskap Berry?