What foods are good sources of prebiotic fiber?

Prebiotic fiber is found in foods such as bananas, wheat bran, asparagus, onions, leeks, garlic, and artichokes. The benefit of eating prebiotic fiber is that it promotes digestive health and in turn contributes to a healthy immune system. If some of these foods are not at the top of your weekly shopping list, you can also look for supplements that contain larch arabinogalactan. Larch arabinogalactan contains prebiotic fiber that promotes digestive health.
Prebiotic fiber is found in bananas, plantains, leeks, onions, garlic, artichokes and asparagus.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Getting Too Much Fructose?
Getting Too Much Fructose?
Getting fructed? Webster’s says that edgy-sounding word simply means, “bearing fruit.” It could also stand for participating in the Finnish-Russian Un...
What is the difference between vitamins and minerals?
Dariush Mozaffarian, MDDariush Mozaffarian, MD
Vitamins and minerals differ in basic ways. Vitamins are organic and can be broken down by heat, air...
How are nutrients used by the body?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
The nutrients that the body breaks down into basic units are carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. From...
How Should I Choose Healthy Milk Products?