What food label terms should I avoid when buying whole grains?

Stefanie Sacks, MS
When buying whole grains, you want to avoid bleached flours and choose ingredients that are intact and whole. Watch me explain why whole grain labels can be confusing, and what to look out for in the ingredient list.
Not all foods that tout whole grains or whole wheat provide it in the healthiest form. Here are a few fake-out words and phrases to watch for:
  • Made with. It may have a drop of whole grains, but unless it's made entirely with them, you won't reap all the potential benefits.
  • Multigrain. This tells you nothing about whether the grains are whole or refined. Getting 38 different grains isn't much good if they're all refined.
  • Whole grain. If the label doesn't say "100% whole grain," it may have many grain blends. Bad words to see paired with "flour": enriched, bleached, unbleached, semolina, durum, and rice.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Setting the Record Straight on Chocolate
“The greatest tragedies were written by the Greeks and Shakespeare . . . neither knew chocolate,” says Sandra Boynton, the author of the beloved birth...
What problems can arise if I don’t get enough micronutrients in my diet?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
Countless problems can arise from not getting enough of these micronutrients in the diet. Here are j...
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet7 “Health Foods” That Are Ruining Your Diet
These surprising picks may be sabotaging your weight loss plan.
How Can I Cook Beans so They Don't Produce Gas?