What food label terms should I avoid when buying whole grains?

Stefanie Sacks, MS
When buying whole grains, you want to avoid bleached flours and choose ingredients that are intact and whole. Watch me explain why whole grain labels can be confusing, and what to look out for in the ingredient list.
Not all foods that tout whole grains or whole wheat provide it in the healthiest form. Here are a few fake-out words and phrases to watch for:
  • Made with. It may have a drop of whole grains, but unless it's made entirely with them, you won't reap all the potential benefits.
  • Multigrain. This tells you nothing about whether the grains are whole or refined. Getting 38 different grains isn't much good if they're all refined.
  • Whole grain. If the label doesn't say "100% whole grain," it may have many grain blends. Bad words to see paired with "flour": enriched, bleached, unbleached, semolina, durum, and rice.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

The Armchair Quarterback Diet
The Armchair Quarterback Diet
Every year, by Super Bowl Sunday, my jeans have mysteriously shrunk a size. Okay, in truth, the jeans stay the same, but I get bigger. Why? I’m a foot...
Who should see a registered dietitian (RD)?
Sarah WordenSarah Worden
Great question! Anyone can benefit from seeing a registered dietitian. Dietitians can provide nutrit...
What are the health benefits of alpha-carotene?
Dole Nutrition InstituteDole Nutrition Institute
A 2006 Japanese study published in the Journal of Epidemiology found that alpha-carotene reduces the...
Paint Your Plate With Colorful Produce
Paint Your Plate With Colorful Produce