What drugs may interact with carnitine?

Carnitine interacts with a number of drugs, so speak with your health-care provider before taking it.

Carnitine may make thyroid hormone replacement drugs less effective by blocking their entry into cells. It may also increase the effectiveness of blood thinners like acenocoumarol (Sintrom), which can be dangerous.

On the flip side, some research suggests that carnitine may protect against the side effects of certain medications, like the HIV and AIDS drug AZT and the acne drug isotretinoin (Accutane).

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Beware Hidden Sugars in So-called Healthy Foods
Rob Lowe’s remake of the Bad Seed fills you with horror as you (and he) realize his sweet daughter Emma (Mckenna Grace) is actually the personificatio...
What foods are good sources of carbohydrates and protein?
Toby SmithsonToby Smithson
Foods that contain both carbohydrate and protein include some whole grain products such as quinoa; y...
What foods should I eat to reduce my glycemic index?
High-fiber cereal help reduce your glycemic index, but corn flakes increase it.Watch the video to le...
Eat a Heart-Healthy Diet for a Sharp Memory