What is the dosage for carnitine?

The typical dosage for carnitine is 1 to 3 grams (g) a day. Doses of 3 g a day or higher may lead to side effects such as stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhea.

Healthy people do not need to take a carnitine supplement, since the body produces it naturally from amino acids. For that reason, there's no recommended daily allowance for carnitine.

Continue Learning about Nutrition

Why You Should Be Eating Flaxseed
Why You Should Be Eating Flaxseed
One of the impressionist painter Jean Renoir’s favorite techniques was to dilute oil paint with linseed oil and turpentine so it ran down the canvass....
How was the relationship between genes and nutrition discovered?
A now famous study conducted at Stanford University looked at the long-term effects of weight loss u...
What should I know before I try functional foods?
Robert DeVitoRobert DeVito
Functional foods are an emerging field in food science due to their increasing popularity with healt...
What Are Some Healthy Sweeteners?
What Are Some Healthy Sweeteners?